For eArchiving in a bigger picture, there is no single EC Directive which governs digital archiving.
In eArchiving there are several main standards and their exchange formats used for transmission of information.
For a description of preservation metadata, the standard PREMIS is used.
The full description of these standards is as follows:
- Reference model for an Open Archival Information System (OAIS): ISO 14721:2012 (CCSDS 650.0-P-1.1)
- Preservation Metadata Implementation Strategies (PREMIS) Data Dictionary for Preservation Metadata – Version 3.0
- Metadata Encoding and Transmission Standard Primer version 1.6 and METS XML-schema – Version 1.12
- Software Independent Archiving of Relational Databases (SIARD)
- General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679/EU (GDPR)
- Of particular importance is the GDPR legislation, and legal guidance for archives regarding GDPR is available at http://www.eark-project.com/resources/project-deliverables/33-d22-legal-issues-report-european-cultural-preservation-in-a-changing-legislative-landscape and http://www.eark-project.com/resources/project-deliverables/98-d-2-2-1advice.
The eArchiving work is also based on, takes account of, or otherwise takes advantage of:
- Producer Archive Interface Methodology Abstract Standard (PAIMAS): ISO 20652:2006 (CCSDS 651.0-B-1:2004)
- Data Description Language ‒ EAST Specification: ISO 15889:2011 (CCSDS 644.0-B-3)
- Data Entity Dictionary Specification Language: (DEDSL) ‒ Abstract syntax ISO 21961:2003 (CCSDS 647.1-B-1:2001)
- Data Entity Dictionary Specification Language (DEDSL) ‒ PVL syntax: ISO 21962:2003 (CCSDS 647.2-B-1:2001)
- Data Entity Dictionary Specification Language (DEDSL) ‒ XML/DTD: ISO 22643:2003 (CCSDS 647.3-B-1:2002)
- Information and documentation ‒ Records management ‒ Part 1: Concepts and principles: ISO 15489-1:2016
- ISAD(G) - General International Standard Archival Description - Second edition and its exchange format EAD version 2002 and 3.1
- ISAAR (CPF) - International Standard Archival Authority Record for Corporate Bodies, Persons and Families, 2nd Edition and its exchange format EAC-CPF
- Records management processes ‒ Metadata for records ‒ Part 1: Principles, ISO 23081-1:2006
- Records management processes ‒ Metadata for records ‒ Part 2: Conceptual and implementation issues: ISO/TS 23081-2:2007
- Audit and certification of trustworthy digital repositories: ISO 16363:2012 (CCSDS 652.0-M-1)
- Requirements for bodies providing audit and certification of candidate trustworthy digital repositories: ISO 16919:2014 (CCSDS 652.1-M.2)
- Requirements for bodies providing audit and certification of management systems: ISO/IEC 17021-1
- Information technology ‒ Document Schema Definition Languages (DSDL) ‒ Part 3: Rule-based validation – Schematron: ISO/IEC 19757-3:2016 (ISO standard)
- Geographic information ‒ Metadata ‒ Part 3: XML schema implementation for fundamental concepts: ISO/TS 19115-3:2016
- Information and documentation ‒ Principles and functional requirements for records in electronic office environments ‒ Part 1: Overview and statement of principles ISO 16175-1:2010 (ICA)
- Information and documentation ‒ Principles and functional requirements for records in electronic office environments ‒ Part 2: Guidelines and functional requirements for digital records management systems: ISO 16175-2:2011 (ICA)
- Information and documentation ‒ Principles and functional requirements for records in electronic office environments ‒ Part 3: Guidelines and functional requirements for records in business systems: ISO 16175-3:2010 (ICA)
- Information and documentation – Criteria for trustworthy digital archives: DIN 31644:2012-04
- CoreTrustSeal Data Repositories Requirements
- Directive 2003/98/EC on the re-use of public sector information (PSI)
- Directive 2007/2/EC establishing an Infrastructure for Spatial Information in the European Community (INSPIRE)